Monday, July 15, 2013

The Whole Foods Incident

It's been four days since my first infusion. I've been getting out of the house everyday for a walk and fresh air. Today we headed to the drug store then stopped at Whole Foods to look for organic brown rice vinegar to make some Avocado Dressing from The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen cook book by Rebecca Katz. This step-by-step guide helps patients nutritionally prepare for all phases of treatment, and is a remarkable resource for teaching patients and caregivers how to use readily available powerhouse ingredients to build a symptom and cancer-fighting culinary toolkit. 

After the ingredients were located we decided to grab a snack and eat it onsite in the cafeteria area. A few bites into my snack it hit me... uh oh... what's going on? My world started closing in and I pushed away the food. I continued to attempt an assessment of what was going on as my sister, always in tune, snapped to attention and asked if she should get a to-go box. I nodded and she quickly darted off like a ninja and had us packed up and headed toward the door in mere moments. A cold sweat broke out on the back of my neck and I concentrated on breathing as we walked to the car. As I climbed into the passenger seat I was already feeling better but we sat there with the air on full blast just to be certain. 

I survived my first chemo sneak attack! 

No comments:

Post a Comment